Friday, January 27, 2012

Oh Pinterest...I'm going to get in trouble...





Now that you know my new lover and the amount of love I have for her....I introduce you to my first project, first of many though...but let's not tell Mario ;)

The first time I searched on Pinterest, I feel in love with an idea someone had pinned (saved image) on their board. It was simple, made a statement but most of all it was displaying the true loves of my life; my husband and kids.Picture yourself playing a good ol' game of Scrabble, but instead of playing on your board, you use......YOUR WALL! Yes, your own Scrabble game displayed in your house with words you actually know, and not made up! ;) The cool thing about Pinterest is you get to save the picture and the direct link of where that item was found. GENIUS I tell you!



Once I was redirected to the actual website, I was blown away! Cassity went above and beyond to create her Scrabble letters, I'm talking about purchasing 2 x 2 or 4 x 4, sanding, priming and using a letter cutter! WHAT!? WHO!? HOW!? Can you imagine me telling Mario...."Um Babe, please sand all 32 pieces!? Thanks- love you!" I would get a big HEL TO THE NO!! So, Cassity, YOU GO ON WITH YOUR BAD ASS SELF!

Here's what we (I) did.... (yes, that's a BOLD and UNDERLINED I)

I originally was going to use the back part of the $1 wooden frames found at Michaels but when we saw them in person, both the front and back of the frame were cut out. MAJOR FAIL! We did find other frames that were perfect, but those were almost $3 each. Did I mention we needed 32 of them? Again....MAJOR FAIL! On to Plan B- Home Depot. With this plan we were going to buy actual planks of wood, like Cassity and cut them into 6"x 6" squares, but that came to a hault when the manager told us the size we wanted was too small. WHAT.THE.FUCK. She asked what I wanted to do exactly and at first I was like "oh she is going to think I've lost my mind and laugh in my face" but no- in true girly fashion, sporting her orange apron she said "Oh...that's soooo cute!" I instantly fell in love with her, not only because she didn't think I'd lost my mind holding up a picture of my project on display on my phone but because she gave us a much better idea at a fraction of the cost! What more can I ask for!?

We used the back part of the Rosette Block, which was great! No sanding, no priming, no cutting...those bad boys were all set and ready to be madeover.



That night I had to Google the font for the Scrabble game and find something similar in MS Word. I ended up using Calibri in a font size of 250, which would make the font 3 1/2 inches tall. After I printed all the letters, I then cut them out and traced them on back part of the block with a pencil.






After all 31 letters were stenciled and ready for their make-over, it was time for PAINT!


I then made my way to Walmart and picked up ½ pint of black glossy paint, along with a paintbrush set (which were awesome)!





I couldn’t wait to get home and start painting. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! I started with Alex’s name and that alone took me about an hour. (SIDE NOTE: It’s another thing to think about when picking your child’s name- they won’t be the only ones writing their names. YOU WILL TOO!) The following night I finished the rest of the names and let them all dry overnight.




Finally, after working on this project for about 4 days….the day finally arrived to hang them!!!!!! SWEET VICTORY!


I started playing with the arrangements of the puzzle and the second one I did was the winner. I asked Mario to please help me hang the blocks, but he was too “tired”…..
EXCUSE ME!? Ummmm…. hello. I’ve been working on these blocks for about 4 days now and I want them UP! So what is a girl to do?? HANG THEM UP YOUR OWN DAM SELF! I did ask him to eye the center of the wall and to pass me a nail. Guess what happened next…..Mario was my bitch, passing the nails to the WOMAN in charge! HAHA- then we reversed rolls and I became his! No worries….I GOT MY BLOCKS UP!


And here is the finished product…..






Yes, you might notice that our Scrabble game is “Double blessed” with our two crosses- which we didn’t intend on having them like that. But it’s super cool how they turned out as this! My mom is going to flip her rosary when she sees this for Alex’s party! Which you know you should stay tuned and see the Thomas the Train creation I pull out of my sleeve ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...


Scrabble is a very nice game, many loves the game from young one's to old one's..its a really great game specially its very challenging

2 letter scrabble words